Kampala

Kampala
orphanage visit

Saturday, April 26, 2008

A Time of serving

This past Saturday evening, before a lesson, one of the men who I have befriended explained that he would need to leave to tend to his neighbor. I nodded. Then I became curious as to what was really happening next door. I left his hut, walked next door, and saw one of the young men who had been attending the classes writhing in pain and agony on his sweat drenched old mat. He had contracted what seemed to be a severe case of malaria and was being tormented by pain and discomfort. As I watched, my Arab friend began feeding and tending to this man. Here was a humble example of a man, who prays day and night to a god who cannot hear, serving and loving one in desperate need as Jesus commanded me. I decided to help. Through the early evening we both took turns feeding and giving water to this young man. As my friend went for evening prayers I stayed with K. and his wife, praying over him and sprinkling his body with water.

These men desire to be purified from their sin but we know that only Christ can offer eternal cleansing. After writing to this point I returned to this man’s household yesterday to discover a mourning service in his memory. K. had passed away the evening after I was with him, leaving a young wife and one year old son. We have NO promise of tomorrow here.

No comments: