Kampala

Kampala
orphanage visit

Wednesday, February 11, 2009

HI.  Its been  a  busy  past  several  weeks.  I've started  social  studies  teaching  and  ministry  at  Heritage  International  School,  and  have  hosted a  team  from  my  home  church  in  late  January.   It’s  been  a  breath  of  fresh  air  to  be  teaching  at  the  small  international  school  and  living  full  time  now  in  Kampala.  


I  have  been  staying  at  the  Kampala  Unit  leaders'  home  since  early  January  and  have  been  blessed  by  their  company  and  children.  As  a  bonus,  their  house  is  within  a  short  walking  distance  of  the  school  and  has  good  access  to  the  main  road  that  leads  into  the  heart of  Kampala.   At  Heritage  I  am  teaching  sixth  and  seventh  grade, and have  been  involved  in  the  chapels,  independent  teacher  training.    I  have  benefited  from  the  interaction  and  relationships  that  have  already  been  built  with  students  that  speak  my  own  native  tongue!  


   From  the  22nd  to  the  28th  of  January  my  home church in Lincoln,  Nebraska,  Lincoln  Berean,  sent a team  of  6 to  Africa  and  met  me  in  Kampala.  Berean  has  always  been  so  very  encouraging  and  supportive  of  the  work  the  Lord  has  allowed  me  to do  in  East  Africa.  Our  head  mission’s  pastor  Jeff and his wife and 4 other young adults.

They  are  the  first  group  from  my  home  that  have  come to  visit  since  my  parents  came  in  the  early  fall  of  2003!  


   Berean  is  desiring  to  plant  short  cycle  mission  teams  throughout  unreached  and  needy  areas  in  the  world.  So  the  church  decided  to  explore the  possibilities  available  in  Africa.  Their  visit  to  Kenya  and  Uganda  was  short  but  impacted  each  greatly.  Though  I  am  under  Africa  Inland  Mission  as  a  full  term  worker,  I  am  excited  and  prayerfully  mindful  of  the  extreme  potential  that  is  possible  in  this  new  African  venture  under  endeavor  from  my  church  body.  I  love  the  people  of  Berean  and  those  that  are  working  and  praying  about  how  God  can use  them  in Africa! 


   Overall  the  team’s  trip  was  a  success.  This  was  my  first  experience  in  planning  a  team’s  travel  and  schedule  so  I  was  very  pleased  that  the  Lord  answered  prayer  in  allowing  the  group  to  enjoy  their  African  experience.  The  six  members  did  visit  Heritage  School (  after  an  accidental  detour  while  getting  lost  and  finding  the  Heritage  Oil  Co.! )  They  lead  the  elementary  chapel  then  we  headed  for  some  African  food.  They  held  up  well  I  thought  eating  goat  intestines,  posha, matoke, and  several  other  uniquely  African  dishes.  


   The  rest  of  the  two  days  in  Uganda  were  a  blur  of  visiting  orphanages  and  concluded  with  Jeff  sharing  the  message  at  a  local  Ugandan  church service.  We  left  Kampala  and  flew  to  Nairobi  later  Sunday  evening  and  arrived  late  that  night  into  the  AIM  Mayfield  Guesthouse.  The  time  in Kenya  was  also  highlighted  be  several  interesting  experiences.  Perhaps  the  most  memorable  was  the  trip  to  a  Kenyan  game  park  where  we  visited  one  of  the  more  popular  Kenyan  safari  drives.  Though  we  didn’t  see  any  big  cats (which  were  on  the  wish  list)  we  did  see  plenty  of  baboons,  rhinos,  and  other  big  game  that  made  for  a  real ‘African  encounter.'   


   My friends the Mutangilis  did  join  us  for  a  late  evening  dinner  the  final  night  that  out  team  was  in  Kenya.  I  was  so  pleased  with  how  Stanley  and  Sylvia  were  able  to  meet  friends  from  my  home  church  of  Lincoln,  Berean.  Something  I  thought  may  never  happen.  So  I  am  very  thankful  to  the  Lord  for  the  way  everything worked out.   

There are so many  blessings  that  Africa  can  give  us  all.   


 I  am  traveling  back  to  Nebraska,  taking a  short  break  from  Heritage  School (taking  advantage of a long 

Easter vacation  to  spend  time  in  Nebraska  and  South  Dakota,  with  my  family  and friends!  I  am  thankful  that  Heritage  works  so  often  with  fellow  missionaries  and  that  my  co-workers  can  easily  absorb  my  social  study  classes  for  the  days  in  my  absence.   I  thank  you  for  your  prayer  and  continued  prayers  over  the  future  as  you  have  been,  thank  you.  Matthew     


1 comment:

S said...

I came across your blog when I googled Torit Sudan. I see it has been several years since you posted but I wanted to reach out because the nonprofit I work for is interested in working there and any information/contacts you could provide on the area would help us tremendously. We do the bulk of our work in Gulu, Uganda but are always trying to expand our reach. You can check us out at www.prosforafrica.com.