Kampala

Kampala
orphanage visit

Friday, January 2, 2009

From Sudan to Uganda 12/08

  Hello.  Merry  Christmas  everyone.  It’s  been  a  whirlwind  the  last  two  weeks  since  I  moved  down  from  South  Sudan  into  Kampala,  Uganda.  A  majority  of  my  possessions  are  still  in  Torit, awaiting  a  return  with  my  team  leaders ( Phil  and  Linda )  later  this week!  So  its  back  to  living  from  a  suitcase  for  the  time  being  while  staying  at  the  AIM  guesthouse  called  Matoke  Inn.  

  

I  have  mixed  feelings  about  leaving  Sudan.  A  part  of  my  heart  will  always  hurt  from  the  departure  and  the  closing  of  a  door  that  the  Lord  allowed  me  to  walk  through.  It has been a hard  and  necessary  struggle  to  be  a  part  of  building  the  Sudan  for  His  purposes.  I  do  not,  however,  have  any  regrets  or  pains  about  relocating  into  Uganda.   Kampala  will  be  a  far  better  fit  for  my  abilities.  But  I  wrestle  spiritually with making this change.   So  Pray that I would trust the  Lord  more  fully,  believing  in  His  love and  true  sovereignty  and  plans  for  my  life.  


  The  time  in  the  Sudan  was   wrapped  up  very  well  and  with  many  thanksgivings.  Both  Kyle ( short  term  teacher )  and  I  were  able  to  say  goodbye  to  the  teachers  and  students;  even  the  community  may  soon  notice  our  absence as  we  both  were  often  in  the  market  and  surrounding  areas.  I  know  I  miss  them  now,  so  many  hurting  and  hard  working  people  that  I  interacted  with  daily.  Torit  is a  transparent community  that  saw  me  living  life  alongside  thousands  of  others.  Please  join  me  in  praying  for  those  lost  in  Torit.  As  time  unfolds  I  wonder if  peace  will  last, &  what  might  happen  to  those  that  may  again  be  forced to  move  and  have  their  family  lives  shattered  by  war.  Pray  for  them. 


   Since  traveling  south  from  Torit  the  transition  has  been  smooth.  The  most  difficult  change  has  been  leaving  people/friends,  that  come  and  go  out  of  our  lives.  Kyle  Kemp,  who  taught  school and  was  my  house  mate  for  six  months  returned  to  North  Dakota  in  early  December.  His  leaving  and also  Gene’s departure (another missionary)  two  months  earlier  certainly  leaves  a  gap  in  the  young  men  department.   It  also  effects  my  housing  situation,  so  I  am  in  the  hunt  for  some  more  permanent  housing  to  open  up.  Another  prayer  request.  

  

My  work  at  Heritage  International  School  will  start  in  early  January.  I  will  be  teaching social  studies  and  working  to  help  Heritage  gather  a  set  standard  of  curriculum  for  the  high  school  level.  Heritage  has  a  strong  elementary  and  middle  school  and is  trying  to  grow  their  high  school  level  to  match  their  lower  levels.  Its  exciting  to  think  of  working  again  with  middle  school  students.   I  also  want  to  continue  to  pursue  part  time  ministry  opportunities  with  the  M.  community  in  this  area  of  Kampala.  Pray  that  I  value  this  new  venture  and  serve  these  young  men  and  women  and  staff  at the school and also the community as  much  as  possible.  God’s  kingdom  planting  has  no  barriers.  


Christmas  was  spent  with  Missionaries  Amber,  Megan,  and  the  AIM  Central  Region  leaders  family  on  the  Ssese  Islands.  While  people  back  home  were  in bitter  cold,  I  was,  yes,  swinging  from  a  large  jungle  vine  amidst  a  forest  of  trees  and  swimming  on  the  shores of  Lake  Victoria.  The  conditions  were  certainly  rustic  but  the  company  and  activities  made  the  two  days  over  Christmas  on  the  island  a  wonderful  time.  


I  do  want  to  sincerely  thank  all  of  you  for  lovingly  supporting  me  throughout  this  transition  and  unusual  move.    Never  did  I  think  that  when  I  left  one  year  and  three  months  ago  from  Nebraska  would  I  now  be  working  with  youth  at  an  up  and  coming  Kampala  international  school. So  I  am  deeply  appreciative  of  the  continuing  support  and  prayer  and  encouragement  so  many  have  lavished  upon  my  life.  It’s  undeserved  and  grace  filled  love  that  keeps  all  of  our  lives  faithfully  challenged.  Thank  you immensely  for  everything,  Matthew


Colossians  3:23  “ Whatever  you  do,  work  at it  with  all  your  heart,  as  for working  for  the  Lord  and  not  for  men.”  


















No comments: