Kampala

Kampala
orphanage visit

Sunday, November 18, 2007

To Sudan -- Nov. 8, 2007


On the eighth of November, Linda and Kelly and I left from the Entebbe Airport bound for Torit, Sudan. For the past five weeks I have been living in Africa but have been interacting and meeting with people from many different nations and states outside of the African continent. On Thursday we departed for the Sudan. It was rainy and cold at the airport. As we walked out onto the tarmac I was impressed with the varying degree of airplane shapes and sizes. As we continued walking it became clear that there was one specific plane that just might fit four people! We walked alongside an airplane that was slightly longer than my body and waited for the pilot. He was a missionary pilot originally from the Netherlands but now living in British Columbia.

I was "awarded" the front seat and squeezed into a chair that had double strapped seatbelts and headphones. We prayed for the flight and then the pilot proceeded to start the engine. After a brief whirl of the propellers, we were off and taxiing on the runway.

Thankfully, the only event in that was a great view of the entire Northern Ugandan and Southern Sudan landscape. It was about a two hour flight and we landed on the long dirt airstrip of Torit, Sudan and were immediately greeted by Phil who was ready with a wheelbarrow for carrying our luggage.

I have been praying before the Lord for months... for the Sudan and how He wants me involved in this nation. And then here I was... feeling unemployed, misplaced and out of any comfort zone I've known. Perhaps it was the airplane landing that allowed my mind to finally realize, "I am here... Whoa!"

I have a tiny room that is enclosed into the African Inland compound and there are perhaps three other bedrooms. Kelly Miller has a room, Russ and Lynn Noble are also staying here for a few months as they build their own home on the outskirts of Torit. They will be working closely with the Sudanese locals on training in literacy.

I have NO doubt about God's goodness here. I have had the chance to meet amazing people, many young German ladies, Gene Tan of course who I lived with it seems for five weeks. I'll miss his close friendship and it may sink in the more I am away from other young Western men who know the Lord. My prayer is for the Lord to open up strong bonding relationships with those African nationals here in the area. Spiritually, whenever I am removed from my comfort zone, and "outside" of my timetable clocked box, I struggle praying and reading the Word consistently.

God reminds me that it is the relationships and not my own work that makes my spiritual life tick. Also, I have been so consumed with my own health and body and life that my prayers, sadly, are often centered on myself. God had to restore a huge amount of peace in my heart that I HAD to give my body totally to Him. At this point, in an area noticeable only by airplane that hits home now more than ever! I literally have no choice but to again say to the Lord, "Here I am, still imperfect, still single, away from a large "white" community and now into a foreign, yet familiar group of beautiful people."

No comments: