Kampala

Kampala
orphanage visit

Sunday, November 18, 2007

Torit, Sudan

Nov. 9, 2007

The day of arriving I brought my luggage inside, then saw my containers that hold all of the stuff I now look at and go... "Oh yeah, I did live without that stuff up until now, and I need it now! What's in there again?" About mid-afternoon after lying down I had to get my food craving fixed. A fix for ugali, chicken stew and some African conversation. So I headed into Torit and walked up and down the city and met all the vendors. That brings me a great amount of joy. Torit itself is...part Sudanese, part Arabic, part Kenyan, part Ugandan and ALL Wild West!

Similar to a modern, tiny downtown Nairobi, yet without of course, the paved roads and skyscrapers. But the diversity of the people is remarkable for such a small area. People from all over the Sudan, Kenya, and Northern Uganda have moved into this city to build it and earn income. Building projects are everywhere, even a nice local petrol station is under construction at this point.

I love just sticking myself out there, so to speak, and meeting people. I wore my jeans, a t-shirt, and a huge smile. Though the main language is Arabic, there is much English spoken and a great deal of Swahili which allowed me to make my way into several different conversations.

The local diner where I wanted dinner was filled with… me.. and three ladies who were all from
Kenya
. So I walked in.
No one had ever seen me before. A young, slender white guy with longish hair walking into around a city in the South Sudan and then here he is speaking Swahili and asking for a favorite Kenyan dish in Swahili. The people there could not believe it! Wish I had picture of all the people's expressions when they met me. There is a mix of disbelief that a young white man is staying here and wandering through the villages and actually enjoys it! And I do! The Lord will open the doors here for relationships I trust and just walking through the streets in this way makes me visualize that much better how Christ must have seen life. A foreigner with a holy calling and purpose. I prayed last evening around the table that the Lord will use me to the max of what He desires from my abilities.

The streets are filled with army men, some in uniforms, many who are carrying guns

There are many young men who are just… well, hanging around.

No comments: