Kampala

Kampala
orphanage visit

Friday, November 30, 2007

Nov. 10th ?? Torit, Sudan

My home is not my own anymore, there is no TV or radio or internet even to escape to. No one is a phone call away. Here, my independence must take a backseat, if we truly are a team then all of us are now a unit. But is it a new, and a challenging environment for me. Absolutely.

God must know how to keep my pride closely in check.

So, how did Friday begin? I woke up, played with the propane gas to get the heat on a big pot of water. Made coffee, started to get into Numbers then looked outside and was awestruck by the sunrise and the mountains stretch in the distance and the sunrise leaves the pink, red, and purplish hues outstretched all around the horizon. But there is no doubt in my mind now, the Sudan is harsh. I went running along the local airstrip. Jumped roped a bit. We had breakfast, which is plain toast, some peanuts and an orange given to me by the young waitresses at the Kenyan café, then Phil and I went to a few different places in town.

Everywhere, on just about every building are flags, or colors of, the flag of the South Sudan.
It is obvious that this area wants their unity and independence from the Arab North. That much is clear!

WE had a meeting with the local Torit, Educational Minister. He was accommodating and pleasant. I just have no idea how this will all play out. I mean, here I am, in a Wild West of a city, that has been plagued by bombs, strife, war, and bloodshed. And here I am dressed up in black slacks, my white dress shirt, looking for an "in" into the city. Spirit lead only. What should I be hoping for? Could I plant myself into this town and be poured into it? The Lord must clear the way. Anyway… After a brief discussion with the Minister, who is a highly respected man in this city and Province Phil and I met his deputy. This guy could have punched my face in from the look on his face. He was very unpleasant and not pleased with.. anything maybe. That was our only negative encounter so far. As an American I really want the "end product" to be stamped and delivered as I labor. Jesus said pray for the harvest and for the harvesters. That is my job. Yet, there is always a sinful aspect of my nature that says: seek for more Matthew, look for more, what else could your wonderful and remarkable talents have been producing? You should be training Einstein's by this point. As a person my very nature is so rebellious and unstructured, toward the sinful pride of life. Coming out now, my pride is magnified.

Hmm… Just heard a gun in the distance. But only one shot. Outside the compound are motor bikes racing along the busy road. Now, that is totally made out of mud because of the rain.

No comments: