Kampala

Kampala
orphanage visit

Sunday, December 2, 2007

Saturday Nov. 11/2007 Keyala Village

Military Fatigue - Tanks & a lost child

Saturday, Phil and I traveled to a small, local village that stretched to the mountainous area located several miles from Torit. We packed up from the local AIC Church with three members of the congregation and headed…West, No. East? But the mountains were there so we knew what direction!


The purpose of the trip was to connect with the local tribal leaders of a remote village called Keyala. Keyala has no church. As is commonplace for many African villages alcohol and idleness has infested the local community.
The drive itself was around one and a half hours. It was a great time for Phil Byler and I to talk. He shared about his Mennonite background and strong faith. My appreciation and respect for him as a Godly man grew so much during this trip. He discussed his short time working among the Idinga people of Northern Uganda, before the murder of Warren and Donna Pett. The Bylers were there three and a half weeks before they were forced to relocate and move so abrubtly.

We were engaged in heavy discussion when Sarafino, the AIC Regional Sudanese pastor exclaimed “ Phil, I need to release the Chai and liquid from this morning, they are talking to me!” So we stopped the car and six grown men simultaneously started taking a “ break” alongside the road.

When we reached the Keyala village I noticed a large, green, Soviet styled tank. This was the first symbol of the war I had scene. Second actually. The first were the two de-mining vehicles that we passed on our way into the village. Interestingly, when the war stopped and peace was “established” the Southern Sudanese authorities decided to clear the path for a road to link Northern Kenya with the now free, and traveling people from the Sudan. But what the government didn’t do…was clear all the mines. Intentionally, it is believed so that in case a war were to ever start again the people would not be left totally unprepared. Another example of a war like state and sense of alert.

Keyala was interesting for several reasons. The tank was notable. Dark green and in the center of town. But again I am impressed by the ruggedness of the people, the sharp and distinct village homes and tough people. Phil and I met the local military commander for the Keyala and Torit area. Torit was seiged during the war and the entire area was bombed and destroyed. So meeting the military commander was impressive. He got dressed in his full Sudanese fatigue and we snapped some photos of him. We then got into the m idle of an abducted child case in another local village we drove to. In Africa everything involves meeting with the proper authorities and elders and “paying homage” to those men, always men, who are the tribal chieftains. So we met with many of these men and listened to them speak in Arabic and Lutucko. So my contribution was minimal.

Standing alongside the Sudanese military commander left a distinct impression on me. These people know, and even value, war. Especially, the war leaders.

Apparently with my long hair, shaved face, and God given ( though differently shaped ) body the local drunk man we consoled mistook me for a sister. The deal was, we went to console a local member of the Sudanese Commander’s family. A brother who had lost his daughter. He was intoxicated and very somber when we met him at first. Until he introduced himself to me, then said very sadly, “ How are you my sister!” At first we couldn’t tell if his English was just off or what. But when others noticed what he had said, everyone started laughing. So I was glad I could bring some cheer to his day.

As I write I had to take a break. A large UN plane has just landed on the airstrip that is located directly outside the AIM Compound. The propellers are slowing down. Back to Keyala. For one hour Phil and I listened to reverent praise for the work that George Bush had done in bringing a stop to the war. That was interesting to me, the local Sudanese fighters and commanders loved the American President. Also striking was how war, hatred, and the past sins of the Muslim Arabs dominated the discussion. All among men who confessed to love the Lord.

The men gathered and accounted in glory how they had rebelled against the terrible and stupid Arabs that tried to manipulate, control, and dominate their lives.

Perhaps the best time; spiritually at least, was the discussion that Phil and I had on the return. As men, Phil is definitely old enough to be my father, we are entirely different. Our backgrounds, lives, careers, talents, even spiritual talents. And here we are, living together, working intimately together and be side by side in the Sudan. As we had much time in the car we talked and I shared my testimony. How as a person I have always been inclined to the Holistic vie of life. When I am exercising, being disciplined in food, reading, devotions and getting rest I am much more in order.

African really understand the nature of a holistic life. It centers around their entire frame of life. The spiritual is connected to the physical. The physical is linked to the mental. The mental to the emotions and so on. That is me. Perhaps in a divine revelation ( though mini ) I now understand much more clearly how God fashioned me as a person and set forth his path for me.

Ephesians 1: 4 “ Even before the foundations of the world God had already chosen us to be His through His union with Christ, so that we would be holy and without fault before Him." Before Him. Our lives will give an account before Him. As Christ set the ultimate example.


Asim Bitaki Munu!

No comments: