Kampala

Kampala
orphanage visit

Tuesday, December 11, 2007

More about Ikotos.... the blind & the lame

November, 2007

Ikotos was also amazing for the following

I met a young, single blind man named Willie. He stopped by in the morning and once sunny AM I took the liberty to describe for him what colors feel like.

Black people are the color of the heat of the sun, white people are the color of coolness. We laughed then played thumb wars together. God has blessed me by allowing me to see; How does Willie See? Laughter is definitely healing to the soul mom and dad and family. Willie laughed and laughed at all my antics and botched Arabic numbers, and just joking around in English.

Ambrose, a man who lives in Ikotos met me. Ambrose has legs which were born deformed. He cannot walk. Each day, he crawls on his two arms throughout the town and also to the huts and house where we stayed each morning. He knows English well and one morning we got into a discussion on singleness. Why am I single? Ambrose wondered why I had not yet married? I like to think the Lord will provide, but why no now, I honestly feel He has work that will reward the Kingdom still as a single man. He wants me to be.

Ambrose is single because he is lame. He cannot walk. Women do not want a man that cannot work and support them, he is not valued as masculine. But he is so masculine, a tough, Godly man that must crawl on hands and knees in the hot, Sudan sun every day. So we talked about purity, singleness, and our desires for a mate. But wow, are perspectives were as different as our skin colors and life experiences. Very sobering. “Lord, thank you for the use of my legs.”

Reverend Tobiolo shared with us the deadly encounters with he Lord’s resistance Army. A few years ago the LRA attacked his local Sudanese village. They destroyed the area and murdered many of the people of Ikotos. Tobiolo said that after witnessing the bloody murders his faith was almost gone. Only his wife brought him back, back into an attitude of forgiveness and reconciliation. How can I not quickly forgive a Sudanese police officer that humiliates me for fun. Tobiolo has to wrestle with the complete murder of a group of friends and family. The stories that many of these people LIVED is heartbreaking.

Snakes bite. Scorpions sting. Thankfully, I have never experienced this first hand. But two local Ikotos people did visit our home while we were there after experiencing these dangers. The local missionary family, Jordan and Andrea Scotland, have a battery that can be used as a sting/bite shocker. How exactly it works??? No idea. But it does work by administering a shock that radiated through the person’s infected leg or arm and helps remove the toxicity. Medically it is said to be not possible, but after witnessing the treatment first hand two times. Once I was the battery charger guy, I believe in it’s power.

No comments: