Kampala

Kampala
orphanage visit

Sunday, December 2, 2007

Meeting with Education Minister & out in Torit

The Schools in Torit


If you had seen me you both would have been impressed. Dressed in the nice khaki pants and my blue dress shirt I walked early from the house of Mathias and Bianca. I stopped by the AIM compound and grabbed my folder with my school and registration photos. Then I made sure I meandered through the Torit city until reaching the Government of the South Sudan Educational Office. Mr James Amoko was late, which is alright, it’s Africa, and with the usual very stern look on his face. When I was called into the office he greeting me briefly and told me he was the third in command (Sudan is ALL military structured, even the schools)and would introduce me to the Torit Headmaster.

So Mr. Francis Amiji and a driver went to the secondary school. How do I describe the school?

I first met with the headmaster and his deputees. His name was Mr. Petriolius.

He apparently is a local Catholic Bishop at the Catholic Church. We talked, he was polite then we went to the staff room. The setting of the school and layout is nothing like Bonjoge. Very flat, very dry and arid. Upon entering the staff room I noticed that the teaching staff was half Arabic and half black Sudanese. Their is a very strong Arabic community and teaching staff. So the students are fluent in Arabic and English then is another separate wing of the school. Overwhelming are my feelings now. The Deputy Education Minister and the Headmaster and I went from classroom to classroom for my introduction. There are many different buildings. So this took awhile. Later, I had some time with the principal himself. I am praying for this relationship. He is not a believer. In fact, it may be that very few, if any, of the Torit Secondary school staff are saved. A young lady Florence is involve with the AIC Church here on occasion. She actually was an interpreter at the pastor’s house a few days ago.

But Muslim staff and beliefs dominate the school.

Torit Secondary is a mixed, day school. So there are female students. Very few girls however, and the schedule is from 7:45 until 2:40 in the afternoon. No boarding school situation. What a deal. I was praying on my return walk, with several Muslim staff teachers, “ Lord. What is going on!” the headmaster wanted me to start immediately. But of course I will not, we’ll ease into the school. More on the situation later. But this may help. Very, very unreached school, administration, and staff for sure. This has NO similarities to Kenya education and Bonjoge.

No comments: